Re: NE2000

Do you know what type of card it is (vendor and model)?
It must be rather old...I have a few "Combo Cards" (UTP + Coax)
and have never seen on ethat NEEDED you to select for it what interface
it used.
Generally yes, you wil need to boot DOS with a config disk...
I have about 3 or 4 diff config disks tho...if you can tell me th evendor
who knows...might get lucky (id be happy to send you a copy of one of the disks)
as for 3comms ...
they work ok...personally I find a cheap NE2000 clone works just as good
I have had allot of luck with SVEC cards (weird..bought some a few months
maybe a year back and they were "jumperless" "PNP" (but also NE2000 so they
worked fine) and I bought some about 1 month ago and
they were Jumper config! (I LOVE jumpers...so I can set it once and
know that it wont "loose its config"...)
I must say I also like ATI (Allied Telliesen )
I bought one of their cards through someone else, it worked for a year, then
I accidently (my fault I think) blew it out...one call to them and 2 days later
I had a new one!
-Steve

Daniel Doro Ferrante wrote:

>         Hi All.
>
>         I have a NE2000 card on my 486DX4 100MHz server, running a hamm
> Debian (upgraded whenever possible - something like twice a week... ;)
> And, recently, I encountered a problem: the cable that links the NE card
> to the HUB (3comm) has been changed from coaxial to UTP and so, our
> network conection has gone away... :( I have tried by all means to recover
> it, but with no success (I also do not have the manual of the card...).
>
>         Well, by now, what I know is that this little NE2000 can be
> reconfigured to use UTP with the aid of a Config Disk, booting DOS, and
> that its new UTP configuration will be kept on a kind of EPROM (or
> something like this...). Is this correct ? Do I have to find such a
> config-disk and boot into DOS-mode to reconfigure this card ? And what
> about upgrading to a 3COM 509 ? Is it a good idea ? (although I know that
> 3Com cards are better than this NE2000 I am not sure if I can afford such
> a change right now, so I am asking just for the sake of prevention and
> possible future upgrades... ;)
>
>         Thanks in advance,
>
>                                 Daniel.
> Daniel Doro Ferrante            email: danieldf@fma.if.usp.br
>                                        danieldf@ime.usp.br
>                                        danieldf@lnx00.cecm.usp.br
> System & Network Administrator  http://www.cecm.usp.br/~danieldf
>
> CECM - Curso de Ciencias Moleculares - USP
>        Course of Molecular Sciences - University of Sao Paulo
>
> --

PGP Key at: http://www.gis.net/~sjc/pgp.asc
(BTW Thanx allot Noah for pointing out why putting my pgp key here was
a bad idea...now I hafta find a new funny quote or something for here)
"Ummm, me make *one* change. Stone hot so me soak in stream so
stone not burn Lorto hand. Small change, shoul dnot keep Lorto from
make Fire."