Re: NE2000

>> 	Hi All.
>>
>> 	I have a NE2000 card on my 486DX4 100MHz server, running a hamm
>> Debian (upgraded whenever possible - something like twice a week... ;)
>> And, recently, I encountered a problem: the cable that links the NE card
>> to the HUB (3comm) has been changed from coaxial to UTP and so, our
>> network conection has gone away... :( I have tried by all means to recover
>> it, but with no success (I also do not have the manual of the card...).
>>
>> 	Well, by now, what I know is that this little NE2000 can be
>> reconfigured to use UTP with the aid of a Config Disk, booting DOS, and
>> that its new UTP configuration will be kept on a kind of EPROM (or
>> something like this...). Is this correct ? Do I have to find such a
>> config-disk and boot into DOS-mode to reconfigure this card ? And what
>> about upgrading to a 3COM 509 ? Is it a good idea ? (although I know that
>> 3Com cards are better than this NE2000 I am not sure if I can afford such
>> a change right now, so I am asking just for the sake of prevention and
>> possible future upgrades... ;)

I have 2 NE2000 cards, and 1 of them I have to boot into dos and configure the
card to use the UTP port instead of the BNC, the other one auto detects which
one to use and that seems to work ok to.  I do have a 3com 3c509 cards as well,
and it took me a while to get it working but I was a relatively straight
forward task, but I had to tell that one to use the UTP port as well.  So far I
have not seen much difference between the performance of the cards as they are
both 10Mb.

Hope this helps

Regards

Graham