Re: What's the storywith 2.0?

On Mon, 4 May 1998 AJT60@student.canterbury.ac.nz wrote:

> Just an ignorant question, how often do new libcs come out? What's the
> story with glibc (how is it different from libc6)?

[ Just to avoid confusion, glibc means "GNU libc". glibc version 2 is
being called "libc6" in Linux ].

Switching to libc6 from libc5 is like switching from a.out to ELF.
We had to recompile all the packages, and make sure they work as well as
before. Most programs compiled out of the box with the new libc6, but some
of them needed some patches. This has been a lot of work.

Why should we switch to libc6? Well, because it is no longer a heavily
modified version of GNU libc version 1, as libc5 was. This is the same
libc which is used in the "GNU operating system" (i.e. the one having a
Hurd kernel, instead of Linux). There are a lot of other reasons, but the
FAQ about the issue which is included in the libc6 package would give a
much better explanation than I could, if you are really interested in the
internal details.

> Also, do the hamm install disks work yet, or is it better when installing
> from scratch to do a bo install and upgrade using the most excellent
> autoupgrade script?

They already work. I installed hamm in a computer with no operating system
last week and just had to create two disks ("rescue" and "drv").  Then I
used NFS to get the 6Mb base2_0.tgz file and a local mirror of Debian to
install all the remaining packages with dselect.