Re: smail help required [urgentish]

On Tue, Mar 24, 1998 at 01:11:39PM -0800, George Bonser wrote:
> Forget smail unless you are doing UUCP. Go to exim. I was a long-time user
> and supporter of smail but have given up on it except on this lone system.
> The upstream maintainer has gone mad.  If you need smail for UUCP, copy
> your smail binary to a safe location and then contact me for configuration
> details on how to build a system where exim faces the internet and smail
> faces uucp.
>
> Nobody should be using smail anymore for smtp transport, use it only as a
> uucp mail router.
>
> http://www.exim.org

I got smail working, with my existing configuration -- just by enabling
it in inetd instead of standalone, it seems. Very strange. Perhaps,
as you say, it's time to move on!

Unfortunately yes I am doing UUCP, but I can probably move that work
off to another box, although that box is debian too but not critical.

Will exim support different alias files for different domains?
I've got the hideous smail method for doing that installed -- duplicating
the configuration files in another directory and using dodgy transports.
This is an important requirement here.

Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt       Mobile: +61 412 011 176       hamish@rising.com.au

Rising Software Australia Pty. Ltd.
Developers of music education software including Auralia & Musition.
31 Elmhurst Road, Blackburn, Victoria Australia, 3130
Phone: +61 3 9894 4788  Fax: +61 3 9894 3362  USA Toll Free: 1-888-667-7839
Internet: http://www.rising.com.au/