Re: Some odd errors / compatibility questions.

On 24 Mar 1998, Timothy J. Miller wrote:

> 	The system is a home-built; PCI IDE motherboard housing a Cyrix
> 6x86-233, 32Mb EDO RAM, Acer 24x CDROM and a modem.

You name the brand of the cdrom, but the motherboard goes unnamed. I'd
rather buy a quality motherboard than a cdrom. Remember, the quality of
the motherboard is vital to all parts of your system.

BTW, if you're running a Cyrix 233, be sure that cooling is absolutely
superior (ie. spend the difference in price with an Intel/AMD on cooling.)
Hot processors can also be a cause of memory problems.

The cache on the board might be crappy too. Or just badly seated.

> 	On the initial compile I started having problems with GCC dumping
> out on unexpected signals (11).  From what I've read in the past, this is
> indicative of memory problems, particularly with non-parity SIMMS.  So I
> pulled a second set of 2-16Mb EDO fast RAM SIMMs from a running system
> (*not* running Linux) and swapped them for mine.

Look at http://www.bitwizard.nl/sig11/ to read more about possible causes
of the problems.

> 	No dice.  If anything, things are worse-- occasional messages
> indicating the kmem is freeing non-kmapped(?) memory.  Once I work my way
> to a successful compilation of 2.0.30, the system fails to boot it (I'm
> back booting the 2.0.29 default kernel).  Every so often something abends
> with a "kernel unable to handle dereference of NULL pointer".
> Compilations still breaking on unexpected signals.
>
> 	Now, this all *still* sounds like bad memory to me, but I'm on my
> second set of sticks here from 2 different sources (one set in fact was
> pulled from a running system).  I find it hard to swallow that *both*
> sets are worthless.

You might also want to try removing every card from the computer that you
can spare from the system while keeping it running. Swap the vga card with
a different, known-working one. Even try swapping the cpu.

Cheers,

Joost