Re: On Debian, currently.

On Fri, Mar 20, 1998 at 09:24:07AM -0500, James D. Freels wrote:
> In my mind several factors stand out about Debian:
>
> (1) The stable version is stable (really runs for days, months, years,
> etc.).  The MTBF becomes tied to hardware failures (hard drives being
> the most vulnerable) not software.

Excellent point. I've had a Debian server colocated with ISPs
since December 96. Deployed with Debian 1.1, upgraded in place,
without reboot, to 1.3. Up about 160 days until an impatient user
with root access for political reasons rebooted it (couldn't wait
for routed to learn some new routes to his ISP dialup, argh).
Then it was up for some more months until I changed ISP, where
it went down a few times due to bad power supply at the ISP,
and once due to power-supply-related hard disk errors. Up 39 days
since I fixed it. Minimal load but downtime in 16 months is
only a day or so due to the hard disk problem (I was overseas when
it developed). I have only had to have physical access about four
times, and once was to install new hardware.

Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt       Mobile: +61 412 011 176       hamish@rising.com.au

Rising Software Australia Pty. Ltd.
Developers of music education software including Auralia & Musition.
31 Elmhurst Road, Blackburn, Victoria Australia, 3130
Phone: +61 3 9894 4788  Fax: +61 3 9894 3362  USA Toll Free: 1-888-667-7839
Internet: http://www.rising.com.au/