PPP Problems

This is my first post, and I hope I can be forgiven if I'm not supposed to
send mail directly to this address (and also if it's too long) -- but I
couldn't find anything that said otherwise on the Debian site.  I'm also
well aware of the documentation already on the Debian site regarding PPP,
which I've followed extensively.  I'm still having problems, and this is my
last resort before running to Red Hat :)

First of all, I was very impressed with the install process (once I figured
out what I was doing).  Yes, dselect needs a great deal of work (searching
would be nice if it ain't there already), but it certainly did it's job.  I
had a good version of Perl just sitting there waiting for me.  Overall, I'm
real pleased with Debian -- except for two rather major problems, the first
of which I'll address in this message:

I can't get on the Internet at all.  I have to skip through all the
Internet settings in the install, because I get a dynamically-assigned IP
address from my provider (MindSpring) each time I dial in, which means I
need to configure PPP.  When I first installed, I couldn't get anything out
of my modem at all.  I then saw the "How do I set up my PPP connection?"
post on the FAQOMATIC and followed it's instructions, and suddenly Linux
was talking to my modem and dialing my provider!  Oh happy day!

However, I can't hold a connection.  That is, the modem dials the right
number, the modem at my provider answers, they do whatever modems do with
one another in the privacy of their own bedrooms, and then I get summarily
dropped. On Windows (sorry to bring up that OS), the same type of thing
happens when there's no TCP/IP dial-up adapter installed.  Could this be a
similar problem?

I also got one page of documentation from my provider (which is all the
support for Linux they provide, of course), which told me to edit six files
(hosts, host.conf, resolv.conf, hosts.deny, hosts.allow, and
ppp/pap-secrets).  Having done all of the above, I'm getting no
connectivity whatsoever, which is darn frustrating.

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
John