Re: fvwm question: can I make transients take focus?

> > Is there any way under fvwm2 to make all transient windows automatically get
> > focus when they appear?  It would be much more convienient than having to
> > move the mouse to that window.

Perhaps for you, but for me, it's just the opposite.  I hate touching
the mouse.  When I do a "search" in netscape, for example, a transient
pops up and then I must move the mouse to that window before I can
type anything.  This slows me down immensely.

I don't think this should be something that is always active, but I
would like to be able to enable it.

> The problem is that if this happens *as* I'm typing or clicking a
> mouse button, the new window gets the event and just might disappear
> before I get a chance to read it!  "Hmmm, I hope that wasn't too
> important..."  Who knows what I just denied or agreed to!  Other
> times, applications might be launched and I suddenly find myself in
> the middle of another program with no idea how I got there.  At best,
> the machine just beeps at me several times.

Perhaps it would be best if the transient only automatically got focus
if its parent already had focus?  Perhaps this option could be tri-state:
never, always, if-parent-has-focus.

                                          Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@verisim.com )