Re: fvwm question: can I make transients take focus?

Brian White wrote:

> Is there any way under fvwm2 to make all transient windows automatically get
> focus when they appear?  It would be much more convienient than having to
> move the mouse to that window.

If you have any windows that pop up automatically, like calander
reminders, error windows, etcetera, this can be a *very* undesirable
feature.  For myself, being stuck with using NT on a daily basis, such
windows (like crashing applications :) pop up and steal the focus
quite often.

The problem is that if this happens *as* I'm typing or clicking a
mouse button, the new window gets the event and just might disappear
before I get a chance to read it!  "Hmmm, I hope that wasn't too
important..."  Who knows what I just denied or agreed to!  Other
times, applications might be launched and I suddenly find myself in
the middle of another program with no idea how I got there.  At best,
the machine just beeps at me several times.

What I wouldn't give to have genuine sloppy focus in every GUI.  (BTW,
setting the ActiveWindowTracking resource in NT doesn't prevent this
problem - you have to move the mouse to get the focus *back* to the
window you were in once the transient appears.)

My 2 cents,
Keith