Re: SOLVED: EXMH can not send e-mail (SMAIL/EXMH/MAILX)

On Sat, 14 Mar 1998 02:59:32 CST, Alexander Kushnirenko wrote:
> Hi, All!
>
> Thanks to everyone who replyed on this message. I think problem is fixed now,
> and I would like to share my little experience.
[..]

> For Mail program (package mailx) it is done in file:
> /etc/smail/config
> visible_name=domain                  # !! HERE !! fake name if you wish...
> more_hostnames=localhost
> -domains
> hostnames=linuxbox.domain            # here is the true name
>
> For EXMH/MH program one need to modify:
> /etc/mh/mtstailor
> localname: domain

Thanks! This last step appears to be the the missing one I needed to
make my email deliverable globally.  My /var/log/smail/logfile now
shows my intended hostname:

  Received FROM:kotsya@localhost HOST:u.washington.edu [127.0.0.1]

While an exmh FAQ might serve to get the job of configuring exmh done,
and in any event would be a good addition, I wonder if a
mh-config/nmh-config or exmh-config script wouldn't be even better?

Actually, the smail-config could probably be improved for the
"internet" option as well.

I don't know if these ideas are in keeping with relevant traditions, or
if they're the best ideas, but shouldn't configuring mail for dialup
networking be fairly straightforward, no matter what an individual's
preferred email client, as long as it's debianized?

If there are already plans to simplify mta and email client
configuration, please tell me so I don't pointlessly submit wish-list
items in the bug-db.
--
David Stern