Re: /etc/issue, ssltelnet

Nathan E Norman <finn@midco.net> writes:

> Among the more vanilla problems is the /etc/issue file - specifically,
> the advertisement of what OS is running on the target machine.  I'd like
> to get things set up so that it's not immediately clear whether one of
> our servers is running Linux, BSDi, Solaris, etc.

So why not editing /etc/issue ? Or did I miss the point?

BTW: if you "telnet localhost smtp", you can see the version and brand of
your MTA. Another info for intruders. Even if you disable this: the output
of the smtp "help" command will help in identifing the MTA anyway (as it
is distinct on the different MTAs). You can even see the OS and MTA in any
mail sent. Check the headers of this mail. You will find the string (Debian
Smail3.2.0.100).

On your mail, I can also see using the message-id
<[🔎] Pine.BSI.3.95.980308195613.20968A-100000@ns1.midco.net>. I guess BSI
means BSDI ? Just my 2c about hiding the OS.

Ciao,
	Martin