Re: /etc/issue, ssltelnet

On 9 Mar 1998, Martin Bialasinski wrote:

: Nathan E Norman <finn@midco.net> writes:
:
: > Among the more vanilla problems is the /etc/issue file - specifically,
: > the advertisement of what OS is running on the target machine.  I'd like
: > to get things set up so that it's not immediately clear whether one of
: > our servers is running Linux, BSDi, Solaris, etc.
:
: So why not editing /etc/issue ? Or did I miss the point?

You missed the point :)  - I was asking about ssltelnet's habit of
throwing a zillion headers at you before the login prompt ...

: BTW: if you "telnet localhost smtp", you can see the version and brand of
: your MTA. Another info for intruders. Even if you disable this: the output
: of the smtp "help" command will help in identifing the MTA anyway (as it
: is distinct on the different MTAs). You can even see the OS and MTA in any
: mail sent. Check the headers of this mail. You will find the string (Debian
: Smail3.2.0.100).

Yes, and ftp daemons, etc ...

: On your mail, I can also see using the message-id
: <[🔎] Pine.BSI.3.95.980308195613.20968A-100000@ns1.midco.net>. I guess BSI
: means BSDI ? Just my 2c about hiding the OS.

Point taken.

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet - 410 South Phillips Avenue - Sioux Falls, SD  57104