A simple problem with dselect ...

I was just wondering how I would go about removing a single package from
my Debian machine.

I tried to remove a package and under "Select..." selected to remove the
package. Then I went to "Remove..." and dselect removed almost every
package I had installed since the beginning (including the one I had asked
it for).

I know I'm doing something stupid ... I just don't know what it is.