Re: A simple problem with dselect ...

On Wed, Feb 25, 1998 at 10:44:17AM -0500, Nebu John Mathai wrote:
> I was just wondering how I would go about removing a single package from
> my Debian machine.
>
> I tried to remove a package and under "Select..." selected to remove the
> package. Then I went to "Remove..." and dselect removed almost every
> package I had installed since the beginning (including the one I had asked
> it for).
>
> I know I'm doing something stupid ... I just don't know what it is.

Some how those other packages must have gotten marked for removal.
It happened to me once -- dselect decided to remove half the system,
very annoying. I try to avoid using dselect anyway. You can remove a package
using

dpkg --remove <package>

If you mark a few things for removal in dselect, go to the command line
and run

dpkg --no-act --remove --pending

to see what would be removed.

Hamish