Re: 'LaTeX' mode in xemacs

Paul Rightley <pright@lanl.gov> writes:

> Sorry if this is not specifically Debian related (but this seems
> to be a wholely polite mail-list - a rarity lately).  I have an
> up-to-date hamm installation.  I sometimes work on a RedHat machine
> (through an 'X-terminal' Sun running Sparc linux).  When I edit
> a LaTeX file on this RedHat machine with xemacs, I get a LaTeX
> menu when I right-click. Also, xemacs has  'command' and 'LaTeX'
> pull-down menus in this situation. On my hamm machine (in my office
> and at home), I get no such menu when editing a LaTeX file.  How do
> I go about changing this?
>
> (I tend to use debian as a turn-key system and still am not a big
> fan of 'info'.)
>
> Thanks for any assistance,
>
> Paul Rightley

While the auctex package is part of xemacs, it is not automatically
invoked.  Try putting this in your .emacs:

;;; ********************
;;; AucTeX stuff
;;;
(require 'tex-site)
(setq-default TeX-master nil) ; Query for master file
(setq TeX-parse-self t)       ; Enable parse on load
(setq TeX-auto-save t) 	      ; Enable parse on save
(setq outline-minor-mode-prefix "\C-c\C-o")
;(setq TeX-auto-private "/home/npreyer/auto/")
(setq TeX-auto-global "/usr/lib/xemacs/site-lisp/auctex/auto/")
(setq font-lock-maximum-decoration t)
(require 'font-latex)

I'm also using the auto-save package, but I've commented out that line
above (you probably will want to change the "npreyer" up there to
something more appropriate).  You may not want such fancy font
coloring, but I like it.

You really do need to Read The Fine Info page about installing auctex,
however, to learn how to make it scan your latex packages for
environments, commands, etc., to make it even more useful.

HTH,
Norris

--
Norris Preyer			(541) 962-3310 (office)