Re: A simple problem with dselect ...

Nebu John Mathai <mathai@ecf.utoronto.ca> writes this day 25 Feb 98:

> I tried to remove a package and under "Select..." selected to remove the
> package. Then I went to "Remove..." and dselect removed almost every
> package I had installed since the beginning (including the one I had
> asked it for).
>
> I know I'm doing something stupid ... I just don't know what it is.

It's not your  stupidity but the computer's, or rather its lack of
a sense of context for your request.

The remove command removes all selected programs.

The install command installs all selected programs AND removes programs
currently installed that have been deselected by the user.

Therefore to remove *one* package only, deselect that one package and
choose *install*. This makes sense but only if you think like a computer.

Regards,

Richard B. Talley <olny@nmia.com>

"Anyone who slaps a 'this page is best viewed with Browser X' label on a Web page appears to
be yearning for the bad old days, before the Web, when you had very little chance of reading
a document written on another computer, another word processor, or another network."
-Tim Berners-Lee in Technology Review, July 1996
quoted at 'Best Viewed With Any Browser' http://www.anybrowser.org/campaign/