Re: mount: only root can do that??

jhspies@alpha.futurenet.co.za (Johann Spies) writes:

> I am trying to change /etc/fstab to allow the user to mount the floppy and
> the cdrom.
>
> The following lines did not help:
>
> /dev/cdrom	/cdrom		iso9660	defaults,noauto,ro,user		0 0
> /dev/fd0	/floppy		msdos	defaults,noauto,user		0 0
>
> Why not?

Are the users members of the 'cdrom' and 'floppy' groups?  What is the
command user's are supposed to use for mounting, but resulting in the
error message stated in the subject header line?

The command "mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /floppy" works only for root, but
"mount /floppy" should properly work for every user who is member of
the 'floppy' group.  The same applies for 'cdrom'.

                                 Cheers, P. *8^)
--
   Paul Seelig                         pseelig@goofy.zdv.uni-mainz.de
   My Homepage in the WWW at the URL http://www.uni-mainz.de/~pseelig