Re: mount: only root can do that??

On 26 Jan 1998, Paul Seelig wrote:

> jhspies@alpha.futurenet.co.za (Johann Spies) writes:
>
> > I am trying to change /etc/fstab to allow the user to mount the floppy and
> > the cdrom.
> >
> > The following lines did not help:
> >
> > /dev/cdrom	/cdrom		iso9660	defaults,noauto,ro,user		0 0
> > /dev/fd0	/floppy		msdos	defaults,noauto,user		0 0
> >
> > Why not?
> >
> Are the users members of the 'cdrom' and 'floppy' groups?  What is the
> command user's are supposed to use for mounting, but resulting in the
> error message stated in the subject header line?
>
> The command "mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /floppy" works only for root, but
> "mount /floppy" should properly work for every user who is member of
> the 'floppy' group.  The same applies for 'cdrom'.

I thought this was true, but it doesn't seem to be true anymore somehow. I
am following hamm closely and using shadow passwords.

When /bin/mount is setuid root, everybody can mount the floppy drive. When
someone tries to mount something that is not in /etc/fstab, I get this
error:

mount: only root can do that

I didn't expect it because mount is setuid root, but this is okay to me.

However, when mount is not setuid root, only root can mount filesystems.
Any user, whether a member of the floppy group or not, gets this:

$ mount /floppy
mount: must be superuser to use mount
$

Note that the error is a different one. But it is still an error.

The relevant entry in /etc/fstab reads:

/dev/fd0   /floppy   msdos  defaults,noauto,user,umask=077   0   0

All the /dev/fd0* devices have these permissions:

brw-rw----   1 root     floppy     2,   0 Jan  9 15:05 /dev/fd0

Does anybody know what's going wrong on my computer? I think it worked
once for me, but I am not sure how I did it then and how long ago it was.

Remco