Re: Off-line newsreader

Ian Watkins hat gesagt: // Ian Watkins wrote:

> Thanks for all you folks who replied to me regarding an off-line news
> reader.
>
> I d/led slrn and configured it, but as a couple of you suspected it
> _doesn't_ support d/l of just headers and the picking of interesting
> articles. I can't afford to d/l all the newsgroups I keep up with -
> some of them have over 100 messages a day, so I'm still looking for a
> true off-line news reader like the one I have in Windows at the moment
> <g>
>
> I had another look at Netscape, but when I was off-line it seemed to
> want to go to the server everytime I selected a new newsgroup (or just
> clicked on it). This was rather annoying (understatement), but I might
> have had something not setup quite right - or NS doesn't really do
> off- line news reading....
>
> If anybody else has any other suggestions I'll be glad to hear them...

For the true Forte FreeAgent type of news reader try SKIM or xagent
available at your fav sunsite mirror in [...]/system/news/reader (?).

SKIM compiles instantly under debian and it has a command line interface
plus a tcl/tk-GUI (that is rather ugly but who cares...). It gets
headers when online, then you can disconnect and mark the interesting
headers for later retrival.

xagent should be similar but it requires xforms and I didn't manage to
compile it in one try. I still have to give it another one...
--
  Yours 	              	<a href="http://www.koeln-online.de/einblick/";>
  Frank Barknecht		Das Koelner Stadt- und Unimagazin