RE: Debian Problem after Compiling Kernel

I am no expert, but...

Are you sure that you compile the correct driver for your
networking card into the new kernel?  I get errors like
this after I have recompiled the kernel with the wrong
ethernet card driver.  If you think you did this correctly,
did you compile the driver as a module?  Are you sure that
it is loaded early enough in the boot process?  (I usually
compile networking into the kernel - since memory is cheap.)

HTH,

Paul

On 07-Dec-97 Vaibhav Goel wrote:

>Hi;
>
>I posted about this a couple of weeks ago and someone responded with
>apossible solution.  But this did not seem to work so here I go again.  I
>would really appreciate it if someone could help me out here.
>
>I installed Debian 1.3.1 off the InfoMagic Developers CD.  This release
>incorporates the 2.0.29 kernel.  Installation goes without a hitch.
>Everything works fine.  I download the latest developers kernel (2.1.71)
>and compile it.  Everything seems to compile fine.  Upon reboot with the
>new kernel, I get the following error message
>
>SIOADDCRT: Invalid argument
>
>I have determined this to come from the following command which is issued
>in /etc/init.d/network.
>
>route add -net ${NETWORK}
>
>Here is what my /etc/init.d/network file looks like
>

>#!      /bin/sh
>ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
>route add -net 127.0.0.0
>IPADDR=204.69.208.4
>NETMASK=255.255.255.0
>NETWORK=204.69.208.0
>BROADCAST=204.69.208.255
>GATEWAY=204.69.208.1
>ifconfig eth0 ${IPADDR} netmask ${NETMASK} broadcast ${BROADCAST}
>route add -net ${NETWORK}
>[ "${GATEWAY}" ] && route add default gw ${GATEWAY} metric 1
>

>Please note that this exact same file works great with the CD installed
>kernel (ie precompiled kernel).  I have tried downloading and compiling
>2.0.30 but I get the same error.
>
>Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?
>
>Regards,
>Vaibhav
>

>--

Paul Rightley                     DX-3 Hydrodynamics, MS P940
Los Alamos National Laboratory    Los Alamos, NM 87545
Phone: (505)667-0460              Fax: (505)665-3359
Email: Paul Rightley <pright@lanl.gov>