Re: Debian Problem after Compiling Kernel

Vaibhav Goel wrote:...
  >I installed Debian 1.3.1 off the InfoMagic Developers CD.  This release
  >incorporates the 2.0.29 kernel.  Installation goes without a hitch.
  >Everything works fine.  I download the latest developers kernel (2.1.71)
  >and compile it.  Everything seems to compile fine.  Upon reboot with the
  >new kernel, I get the following error message
  >
  >SIOADDCRT: Invalid argument
  >
  >I have determined this to come from the following command which is issued
  >in /etc/init.d/network.
  >
  >route add -net ${NETWORK}
  >
  >Here is what my /etc/init.d/network file looks like
  >

  >#!      /bin/sh
  >ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
  >route add -net 127.0.0.0
  >IPADDR=204.69.208.4
  >NETMASK=255.255.255.0
  >NETWORK=204.69.208.0
  >BROADCAST=204.69.208.255
  >GATEWAY=204.69.208.1
  >ifconfig eth0 ${IPADDR} netmask ${NETMASK} broadcast ${BROADCAST}
  >route add -net ${NETWORK}
  >[ "${GATEWAY}" ] && route add default gw ${GATEWAY} metric 1
  >

  >Please note that this exact same file works great with the CD installed
  >kernel (ie precompiled kernel).  I have tried downloading and compiling
  >2.0.30 but I get the same error.
  >
  >Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Since your set-up works with the pre-compiled kernel, it follows that you
have a problem either with the configuration of your own kernel or in the

Have you enabled ethernet in the kernel as well as incorporating a driver
for your particular network card?

If you have configured these as modules, are you either running kerneld to
load them automatically when required, or else running modprobe at boot time
to load them once and for all?

Unsolicited email advertisements are not welcome; any person sending
such will be invoiced for telephone time used in downloading together
with a £25 administration charge.