'make config' issues.

I apologise for this newbie question but what do I do to get 'make
config' to exist? I installed Debian several days ago and just learned
today that the reason why my mouse doesn't work is because I need to
compile support into the kernel. When I go to /usr/src/linux and type
'make config' I just get a bash error message saying that the make
command was not found. Arggghhhh.... The HOWTOs and FAQs do mention how
to configure and compile the source, but they say nothing about
obtaining 'make config' which is essential to the process. I tried
installing all the packages I thought were relevent, such as gcc, but
nothing works....

Thank you,

Christopher Barry