Re: BS in rxvt+ncurses

Marcelo E. Magallón wrote:

> Hi,
>
>         I've already asked this, and I'm sure someone must be having the
> same problem...
>
> No matter how I set the backspace in X11, it won't work under rxvt +
> some ncurses program, for example, pine. At some point the entry in
> /etc/terminfo/r/rxvt was changed, and the backspace stopped working. The
> change isn't documented in the Debian changelog, it just says "Munged
> rxvt entry a bit more", and also makes reference to an update to the
> terminfo database...
>
> xterm does work, and infocmp says:
>
> comparing rxvt to xterm.
>     comparing booleans.
>     comparing numbers.
>         colors: -1:8.
>         pairs: -1:64.
>     comparing strings.
>         hpa: NULL, '\E[%i%p1%dG'.
>         kend: '\E[4~', '\E[F'.
>         khome: '\E[1~', '\E[H'.
>         kmous: NULL, '\E[M'.
>         vpa: NULL, '\E[%i%p1%dd'.
>
> I don't see anything relevant here. There are far more differences
> between the entry that worked and the one that doesn't.
>
> I have:
>
> ii  ncurses-base    1.9.9g-6
> ii  rxvt            2.20-8
>
> The only thing I see that may be relevant is that xterm does use
> libncurses and rxvt doesn't. I don't think rxvt is broken... it worked
> before... the problem is, I don't know before what. Also, I don't want
> to blindy move the old entry over the new one, because I see there are
> other differences between them and some of them are indeed good.
>
> Thank you very much in advance (I mean it, this is getting annoying)
>
>                         Marcelo Magallón

Man, this problem has come up on this list how many times now?
Hooooooweeee! (I'm not frustrated at you Marcelo.) Isn't it time we
had a decent search engine on the debian-user archives or some help
database that people could look into?

Anyway Marcelo, add this to your ~/.Xresources file (and make sure
that you have 'allow-user-resources' in /etc/X11/config).

Rxvt.keysym.0xFFFF: \b

If that doesn't work let me know, but it solved the problem for me
and many others. This is better than switch your whole X keymap.

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jjorgens@bdsinc.com