Re: [semi-off-topic:-] Reasons for Debian/Linux over FreeBSD

On Wed, Dec 03, 1997 at 10:42:44AM +1100, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> One other thing that a university lecturer of mine loves to point out;
> FreeBSD is BSD, so it has the stability and standardness of BSD,
> including standard C API etc. Standard BSD networking. Some BSD
> folks are very fond of saying how BSD networking is better than
> Linux's;

   freeBSD is using the standard Net/3 net code, a big plus since it
 is well documented and thus, relatively easy to fiddle around. I maintain
 a freeBSD machine for this reason alone.

   When the BSD folks say that their net code is better than Linux are,
I think, referring to the design aspects: they are of the opinion that
their's has a cleaner design than ours. They are also very keen in displaying
benchmark results, showing linux at the bottom of the list, without
any indication of which Linux kernel was used in the comparison; we know that
their code was written in 1994, but ours has had two or three major changes
since then.

--

Ioannis Tambouras
ioannis@flinet.com, West Palm Beach, Florida