Re: Making Debian bootable from hard disk

Luis Francisco Gonzalez writes:
 > What's the lilo.conf? Which is the root partition?
 >
 > The way I see it, you should have something like:

My lilo.conf file looks like:

  boot=/dev/hda1
  root=/dev/hdc1
  compact
  install=/boot/boot.b
  map=/boot/map
  vga=normal
  delay=20
  image=/vmlinuz
  label=Linux
  read-only

And it doesn't work...

Before I tried to use /dev/hda1 as a swap disk, I tried precisely this
setup, whith the boot partition on /dev/hda1 and root on /dev/hdc1.
This worked flawlessly, so I thought it safe to use the disk as a swap
disk (for it's small size), but it had too many errors on it, so I
assumed it wasn't stable enough to use for swap.

The error message I am getting from liloconfig:

Warning: BIOS drive 0x82 may not be accessible
                    ^^^^
  I assume means that even though I have changed the partition type
back to 0x83 (Linux ext2) there is somewhere on the disk some
leftovers that mark it type 0x82 (Linux swap) and thus make it
inaccessable?

  Any ideas?