Making Debian bootable from hard disk

Hi,

  Recently I upgraded my system with a new hard disk, and moved all of
Debian over to the new harddisk.  After having moved it, I
recalibrated the old disk, scratching everything that was there
including the master boot record.

  This was ok, and all my files got themselves safely on their new
destination.  But after scratching the old hard disks, my Debian was
no longer bootable from the hard disk, so I ran lilo... however, lilo
reports that it can't install the boot info correctly.  I know that if
I formatted the hard disk under MS-DOS and then proceeded onto
installing debian over it, and running lilo to make it bootable,
things would be ok... heck, I've done that before with the same hard
disk involved.  But my problem is, that I don't have MS-DOS anymore
:-) It is nowhere in sight here, only Linux...

  Has anyone had this problem before, and knows the answer?
Apparantly it seems to me, that cfdisk doesn't format the boot part of
the hard disk properly... is there another way to accomplish that,
than to go down town and "buy" that horrible os lookalike MS-DOS and
friends, just to install the boot block ;-)

Sincerely,
  ÖEH