Re: Making Debian bootable from hard disk

On Thu, 27 Nov 1997, Orn E. Hansen wrote:

>   Recently I upgraded my system with a new hard disk, and moved all of
> Debian over to the new harddisk.  After having moved it, I
> recalibrated the old disk, scratching everything that was there
> including the master boot record.
>
>   This was ok, and all my files got themselves safely on their new
> destination.  But after scratching the old hard disks, my Debian was
> no longer bootable from the hard disk, so I ran lilo... however, lilo
> reports that it can't install the boot info correctly.  I know that if
> I formatted the hard disk under MS-DOS and then proceeded onto
> installing debian over it, and running lilo to make it bootable,
> things would be ok... heck, I've done that before with the same hard
> disk involved.  But my problem is, that I don't have MS-DOS anymore
> :-) It is nowhere in sight here, only Linux...

The package mbr provides a master boot record with more features than the
MSDOS version. I can't tell you much about the details, but reading what's
in /usr/doc/mbr/README-1st.Debian and especially /usr/sbin/liloconfig will
probably explain a lot. Sitting through the lilo documentation might help
too.

Anyway, here's what the liloconfig script does:
  [setup a minimal /etc/lilo.conf, run lilo on it]
  dd if=/boot/mbr.b of=$disk bs=444 count=1
  /sbin/activate $disk $partition

Cheers,

Joost