Re: Linux as a mail and intranetserver

At 13:28 14.10.1997 -0400, Matthew wrote:

>> > - Can one have a Linux server and W95 pc's as clients.
>>
>> Linux has brilliant Windoze support. i'd even go as far to say
>> it's one of it's most valuable features when speaking of an
>> office intranet.
>>

>What exactly do you want Linux to serve, or do for the W95 clients ?

To give Internet and email facilities with a dial-up connection to the ISP. The W95 (or Linux) clients will be machines for *multiple* users to browse the Web and send and receive email.

>> > - As such, is there a way that multiple users could *download* their mail from the local Linux server into W95? Which mail package to use for that?
>>
>> Internet Explorer 4.0 Active Desktop is quickly invading the `Dozer
>> realm <shudder>, but there is Eudora, or the stalwart Navigator or
>> others.
>
>I would stick with Netscape for everything, the web, mail, news....
>Make things easier to install, configure...etc

Here again, does Netscape support multiple users with their own addresses on one or more machines?

>> > - Else should one leave Windoze for what it is and work only with Linux packages. Which email-packages under Linux are most user-friendly?

<snip>

>> i would also suggest dropping some more RAM in your box. it's
>> not required on headless server, that is a server without a
>> graphial interface, but is sure is a great feeling to be able
>> to fire up X Windows on your 486 and browse the net. ( i know
>> because i have a former Windoze running Debian Linux 486 too! )
>>

>It depends what you want to do....and how you want to do it.
>I personally have totally switched to Linux....

Would like to too. But this brings up the question to what extend Linux supports W95 or DOS packages. I mainly work with different CAD software and graphic and Web authoring packages, apart from the usual 'office' applications such as ClarisWorks etc.
Would it be necessary to shift to the unix versions of these softwares?

Thanks,

Dirk Kievith

-- CADD Services & WebDesign	|   dirk@webstudio6.com		--
-- Tel./Fax: +91-413-20620 	|   http://www.webstudio6.com	--