Re: Linux as a mail and intranetserver

On Tue, 14 Oct 1997, m* wrote:

> Dirk Kievith wrote:
> >
> > My purpose is to set up a small *intranet*, with about 2-3 machines to start with, to offer email and web-browsing facilities to multiple users.
>
> > My main querry is how to go about it:
>
> > - which e-mail software,
>
> smail is the Debian preference and would probably be suitable
> for your intranet. on the other hand, sendmail is equally suitable
> and is still easy to configure.

I use smail and think its great, expecially if you don't have the time to
learn sendmail.

> > - which web- and proxyserver to use
>
> apache! another Debian preference. it's proven to be
> flexible and bulletproof.

Apache is what I use, and probably the best for what you want.

> > - Can one have a Linux server and W95 pc's as clients.
>
> Linux has brilliant Windoze support. i'd even go as far to say
> it's one of it's most valuable features when speaking of an
> office intranet.

What exactly do you want Linux to serve, or do for the W95 clients ?

> > - As such, is there a way that multiple users could *download* their mail from the local Linux server into W95? Which mail package to use for that?
>
> Internet Explorer 4.0 Active Desktop is quickly invading the `Dozer
> realm <shudder>, but there is Eudora, or the stalwart Navigator or
> others.

I would stick with Netscape for everything, the web, mail, news....
Make things easier to install, configure...etc

> > - Else should one leave Windoze for what it is and work only with Linux packages. Which email-packages under Linux are most user-friendly?
>
> again, Netscape Navigator is a common tool but there are many others.
> just to see, browse http://www.xnet.com/~blatura/linapps.shtml.
> there are some powerful and useful desktop managers now and more
> exciting utilitites are introduced weekly. selection of an email
> package is somewhat dependent upon the the needs and abilities
> of the users, IMO.
>
> i would also suggest dropping some more RAM in your box. it's
> not required on headless server, that is a server without a
> graphial interface, but is sure is a great feeling to be able
> to fire up X Windows on your 486 and browse the net. ( i know
> because i have a former Windoze running Debian Linux 486 too! )

It depends what you want to do....and how you want to do it.
I personally have totally switched to Linux....