Re: Linux as a mail and intranetserver

Dirk Kievith wrote:

> My purpose is to set up a small *intranet*, with about 2-3 machines to start with, to offer email and web-browsing facilities to multiple users.

> My main querry is how to go about it:

> - which e-mail software,

smail is the Debian preference and would probably be suitable
for your intranet. on the other hand, sendmail is equally suitable
and is still easy to configure.

> - which web- and proxyserver to use

apache! another Debian preference. it's proven to be
flexible and bulletproof.

> - Can one have a Linux server and W95 pc's as clients.

Linux has brilliant Windoze support. i'd even go as far to say
it's one of it's most valuable features when speaking of an
office intranet.

> - As such, is there a way that multiple users could *download* their mail from the local Linux server into W95? Which mail package to use for that?

Internet Explorer 4.0 Active Desktop is quickly invading the `Dozer
realm <shudder>, but there is Eudora, or the stalwart Navigator or
others.

> - Else should one leave Windoze for what it is and work only with Linux packages. Which email-packages under Linux are most user-friendly?

again, Netscape Navigator is a common tool but there are many others.
just to see, browse http://www.xnet.com/~blatura/linapps.shtml.
there are some powerful and useful desktop managers now and more
exciting utilitites are introduced weekly. selection of an email
package is somewhat dependent upon the the needs and abilities
of the users, IMO.

i would also suggest dropping some more RAM in your box. it's
not required on headless server, that is a server without a
graphial interface, but is sure is a great feeling to be able
to fire up X Windows on your 486 and browse the net. ( i know
because i have a former Windoze running Debian Linux 486 too! )

take the plunge!

m*

--
"The Shining One"