Re: Linux as a mail and intranetserver

Dirk Kievith <dirk@webstudio6.com> writes:

> My purpose is to set up a small *intranet*, with about 2-3 machines
> to start with, to offer email and web-browsing facilities to
> multiple users.  Which means multiple email accounts etc.
>
> My main querry is how to go about it:
> - which e-mail software,

You could use qmail, exim, sendmail or smail, or maybe another, not
necessarily in that order.  I use and like qmail, despite the author's
attitude and the fact that there's no real Debian package.

> - which web- and proxyserver to use

Apache is the most widely used web server and probably a good choice.

There's basically just one choice for web proxy: squid.  Even a lot of
ISPs use it.  For caching, a bit more memory and plenty of disk space
is recommended. You could also use IP masquerading to pass traffic
through a dialup machine and make it look like it all came from one
machine.

> - Can one have a Linux server and W95 pc's as clients.

No problem.  I do this at work, including giving dial-up access.  It's
all just like you're an ISP.

> - As such, is there a way that multiple users could *download* their
>   mail from the local Linux server into W95? Which mail package to
>   use for that?

If you put a POP server on your Linux machine, it looks like an ISP.
Qmail comes with one.  Use Pegasus Mail or whatever on the Windows
machine.

> - Else should one leave Windoze for what it is and work only with
>   Linux packages. Which email-packages under Linux are most
>   user-friendly?

I like Gnus under XEmacs, and it's not to bad once it's set up.  VM
and (X)Emacs might be easier to start with.  I've heard good things
about Mutt.

> My immediate aim is to install that which will serve my purpose and
> save as much precious time on un- and re-installing different
> applications.

This is not actually too bad under Debian.  You can even get your old
configuration back.

--
    Carey Evans  <*>  http://home.clear.net.nz/pages/c.evans/  gc

kernel: Warning: possible SYN flooding. Sending cookies.
kernel: validated probe(100007f, 100007f, 11557, 5010, -1645409555)