Linux as a mail and intranetserver

I have recently subscribe to this list and I would like to have some preliminary advice before I install debian 1.3.1

My knowlegde of Unix and Linux is scant: some user experience with HP-UX.
At present I am running W95 and appplications on a 486, 16 MB. I have a dial-up connection to the ISP server and am about to install the Debian Linux 1.3.1.
I have a domain on a virtual server with POP3 boxes and unlimited aliases, etc.

My purpose is to set up a small *intranet*, with about 2-3 machines to start with, to offer email and web-browsing facilities to multiple users.
Which means multiple email accounts etc.

My main querry is how to go about it:
- which e-mail software,
- which web- and proxyserver to use
- Can one have a Linux server and W95 pc's as clients.
- As such, is there a way that multiple users could *download* their mail from the local Linux server into W95? Which mail package to use for that?
- Else should one leave Windoze for what it is and work only with Linux packages. Which email-packages under Linux are most user-friendly?

My immediate aim is to install that which will serve my purpose and save as much precious time on un- and re-installing different applications.

Thanks for reading this far. :-)
Appreciating your feedback.

Dirk Kievith

-- CADD Services & WebDesign	| dirk@webstudio6.com		--
-- Tel./Fax: +91-413-20620 	| http://www.webstudio6.com	--
-- PO Box 24     -  	Pondicherry 605001       - 	India	--