Tape Drives?

Hello everyone,

Please forgive me for a question that has probably been asked
thousands of times. I've just been so busy lately that I haven't been
able to do the research I usually would.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a tape drive that would be
compatible with Linux? My problem is I want to install Linux, but
first I need to format the drive. Before I can format the drive, I
need to back up everything. Unfortunately I am just out of room for
backing up things.

I already have a zip drive, but it has gotten to the point where much
of what I am backing up is things I would only really be using as
backup archives, so that continuing to buy more and more zip disks
doesn't seem appropriate (especially in the wallet). I also figured
that since Linux is more sensitive to things like sudden outages, a
tape drive would be a good thing to have.

My other problem is how much I have to spend. Around $100 is what
I'd like to go for. $150 is pushing it, but should be able to manage
it. I had first also considered a CD-R, since I have musical interests,
but those seems to be about $300 for the cheapest models.

An Iomega Ditto seems to be about the right price, and I have heard
good things about it. Unfortunately I've also heard that it can't be
used with Linux yet. I did find one page with a guy that seemed to
have nearly everything nailed down, and the page was marked April.
Has any more progress been made? Or is there another tape drive that
is compatible and about the same price?

I suppose that if the Ditto still isn't compatible, but people believe it will
be in something like 3 months, then that'd be fine, too. It'll be a
little ways before most of my stuff gets transferred to Linux...

Thanks everyone!
Shawn