Re: Many questions (mostly Network)

Mike Patterson wrote:

> 3) Ok, now let's say one of the "A Machine"s is a Linux box that uses PPP to
>    hook into a secure site (behind a firewall). Let's say (oh, for example)
>    that everything behind the firewall is 15.19.*.*, and the machine is
>    assigned an address for PPP that is in th 15.19 domain. What this machine
>    would want to do is communicate with the PPP line for everything behind the
>    firewall, and communicate with the fileserver/gateway for everything else--
>    I assume requiring it to look like a diffrent IP number for each (remember,
>    the Server/Gateway will be using masquerading). So the question is, how
>    can I do this and ensure that people on other machines in the network can't
>    get to the 15.19 domain? Assume that I'm the only one that can log onto the
>    Linux System I just described... (whew!)

Turn off IP Forwarding on the "A machine" which has the PPP link.
This is configured in the kernel. This will prevent the 15.19
network from being reachable by the other machines on the "A machine"
network. Then you just have to keep people out of the machine.

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jjorgens@bdsinc.com