Re: Incoming PPP question - subnetting

Kevin Traas wrote:

>  I'm having a problem configuring dialin PPP access on my system.  (Debian
> 1.3.1, PPPD 2.2 pl0)
>
> I've allocated a subnet of addresses to the incoming lines and tried setting
> the subnet mask in /etc/ppp/options to "netmask 255.255.255.224"; however,
> my incoming clients have netmasks of 255.255.255.0.  Could this be a problem
> with the client, or is it the server?
>
> Anyone else doing this?

The netmask is not a "negotiated" option. That is, you don't tell the
peer what netmask to use and he doesn't tell you. The netmask is
something you assign to the interface, just as you would to an
ethernet interface.

If you don't supply a netmask, one will be computed for you, based
upon the "class" of the address (determined by the 2 high-order bits
of the IP address).

What's the problem really?

--
Jens B. Jorgensen