Re: Debian + PC with multi RS... port -> n x (text dumb t

>   On 12 Sep 1997, TENCC01.LEWIS01 wrote:

  > > It probably doesn't work the way you want.  Usually the terminal keyboard is
  > > locked until the print is finished.  Making the terminal useful for input at the
  > > same time is generally not possible.  It would require a very clever terminal
  > > and an extremely clever driver.
  > >
  > > jim
  > >

   > ... Or just a larger RAM buffer in the printer and hopefully a fast line,
   > after all I don't think that in a POS system anyone would need to print
   > large reports at one of the terminals, most likely just a few lines on a
   > page for each sell or incoming materials. I would choose to connect a
   > printer to the port _on_the_main_computer for large reports. But it would
   > be interesting just to know more about that keybord lock during prints.

   >	Nicola Bernardelli <nbern@mail.protos.it>

I don't know how big a problem having the keyboard locked
during printing would actually be.  My part-time job is in a
hardware store that uses a POS system similar to the one
you are describing.  All of our registers are 386's networked to
a backroom server.  Each register has its own dot matrix printer,
but while it is actualy printing the keyboard is locked.

This has never been any problem.  While the keyboard is locked we are
waiting for the invoice to print and/or the cash draw is open and we
are making change.  I should note that the invoice only prints
after the sale is finalized.

Actually the very first version of this POS system used WYSE
terminal and there pass through printing feature.

A. Paul