Transfering system directories to new HD

I've seen (and kept) posts on how to transfer a system to a new HD.
what I'm stumped on is how this is done when /, /usr, and /home are on
*separate partitions* and I want to keep it that way.  Can anyone tell
me how this is done?  At this state the "find . -mount -depth
-print|cpio -pdmv /newtempmount" method sounds like the most promising,
but how this is done per partition is a mystery.

My thanks to anyone who can help.

--

C.L. Daugaard
cld@mcs.net