Problem creating custom kernel image

Hi,

  I've only been using Debian 1.3.1 for a short while now and have run up
against a problem that I'm not sure what to do about.

  When trying to create a custom kernel image, I am in the middle of the
'make config', right at the point that make splits off and tries to set up
the configuration script for the sound card, and I get 4 parse errors in
/usr/include/stdlib.h.

  I am not a C programmer by any means, and looking at the code did not help
much.

  Are there known issues about this?  I have installed the libc6 runtimes,
but all else should be libc5 as far as I know,

  Previously I had to edit two other .h files to reference the proper
location of stddef.h being in /usr/include/linux rather than /usr/include.

Any help would be appreciated. Never ran into a problem like this in my
four years of running Slackware.

Thanks,

Steve Mayer
smayer@rtd.com