Re: dpkg xlib6 --- Problem with missing files

On Tue, 26 Aug 1997, George Bonser wrote:

OK, I found the trouble on my system.  Seems ldconfig will not follow
more than one symbolic links.

My system was set up as follows:

libICE.so  ->libICE.so.6
libICE.so.6 ->libICE.so.6.3

Deleting the first link and pointing it directly to libICE.so.6.3 fixed
that problem. As for libXext, there was a just plain error.

I had libXext.so ->libXext.so.6.1
libXext.so.6 ->libXext.so.6.3

The first was a dangling link.  I pointed it to libXext.so.6.3 and all is
fine now.

> For what it's worth, I am getting exactly the same error whenever I run
> ldconfig.
> >
> > ldconfig: warning:
> > can't open /usr/X11R6/lib/libICE.so.6 (No such file or directory), skipping
> >
> > ldconfig: warning:
> > can't open /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so.6 (No such file or directory), skipping

George Bonser
Debian/GNU Linux  See http://www.debian.org
Linux ... It isn't just for breakfast anymore!