Re: Anybody in for helping a new debian user with aic7xxx ?

Hi Damir,

thanks a lot for your reply.

> I have VLB2842 based card and I _never_
> got a stock boot disk to work with that setup

It's not only the 2842, but the 2940, too.

> The problem seems to be due to whole _slew_ of different SCSI driver
> probes on the stock boot floppy which confuse the Adaptec AIC7*** based
> cards and cause panic.

I suppose the same. Suse has a different install concept: it offers
auto-probing _and_ specific driver selection. I didn't try auto-probing, but
selected only the aic7xxx driver (nothing else was necessary).

My Suse system is now running, and I'm in the process to build my own kernel.
I hope, I can transfer it to the Debian boot disk.

> I would like to help you by giving you my kernel

Thanks for your offer. If I can't get it on my own, I'll be back.

Have a nice weekend.

Dieter