Re: Anybody in for helping a new debian user with aic7xxx ?

Hi Dieter Rohlfing; unless Mutt is confused,on Aug 22, you wrote :
> Hi Mark,
>
> thanks a lot for your reply.
>
> The 2 PCs are SCSI-only systems, HDs and CDROM are SCSI-2. Here are the
> main hardware components:
>
> - Mobo Shuttle HOT-419 (VLB with Opti chipset), AMD486/133, 32 MB RAM
> - Adaptec AHA2842 (IRQ 11)
> - ATI Graphics Turbo (Mach32 mit 2 MB VRAM)
> - NE2000 compatiple card IRQ 15 IO 0x300
> - IO card, 2x par (IRQ/IO as usual),
>   4x ser (COM1-COM2 IRQ/IO as usual,
>           COM3 IRQ 10 IO as usual, COM4 IRQ 12 IO 0x2F0)
>
> - Mobo GigaByte GA586ATS (PCI with Triton), AMD K5/100, 64 MB RAM
> - Adaptec AHA2940
> - S3 Trio64 with 2 MB RAM
> - NE2000 compatiple card IRQ 15 IO 0x300
> - IO card, 2x par (IRQ/IO as usual),
>   4x ser (COM1-COM2 IRQ/IO as usual,
>           COM3 IRQ 10 IO as usual, COM4 IRQ 12 IO 0x2F0)
>
> > did you get a successful install after you removed the card?
>
> Not possible.
>
> > what is your install media?
>
> CDROM.
>
> > what "conventional hardware" exactly are you using?
>
> See above.
>
> Have a nice day.
>
> Dieter
>

> --

This seems to be one of those things that Debian leadership and/or
developers are not addressing. I have VLB2842 based card and I _never_
got a stock boot disk to work with that setup...I would like to help you
by giving you my kernel (compiled on my machine), but I'm not a
programer and I don't know how to make boot floppies. Sorry.
The problem seems to be due to whole _slew_ of different SCSI driver
probes on the stock boot floppy which confuse the Adaptec AIC7*** based
cards and cause panic. I have had my (AIC7**** based) kerenel compiled
by a kind soul who had her own ftp site and she just posted it there for
my benefit at the time. Maybe you could ask someone ( using this list)
to do the same for you?

Good luck
DamirN