D-Link ethernet and Pioneer CD-ROM

Hi

This is a request for help not a contribution to the version numbering dispute...

Just got a new PC and wanted to install Linux on the second disk. I succeded in installing the base system after disabling the Pioneer ATAPI CD (DR-A24X) since I realised it was PnP.
Then I wanted to connect to an ethernet using a D-Link Ethn. Bulk PCI BNC/UTP card (sorry that's all the info I have). The card is not recognised during boot up. Now my question is: do I have a fair chance of making this work and if so how? or should I replace the ethernet card and the CD-ROM.

I was thinking along the lines of starting Win95, obtain relevant info (if possible) and pass this info to linux using the lilo boot prompt options.

Karsten