Re: Building Your own Boot Disks

On Thu, 21 Aug 1997, Paul Wade wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Aug 1997, Craig Sanders wrote:
>
> > imo, everyone should compile their own kernel - the boot/rescue floppy
> > is good to install a system with, but a linux box really should have a
> > kernel compiled especially for it....with only the drivers that it needs
> > compiled in (or as modules), no more and no less.
>
> Often true, but it is better to use kernel-package which builds a Debian
> kernel-image package for this.

yes. "...compile their own kernel" includes the possibility of using
make-kpkg. in fact, earlier in my message that is exactly what i said i
had done.

my point was that if you want to get the most out of your linux box then
compiling your own kernel is essential.

it doesn't really matter whether that is done with the old "make zlilo ;
make modules ; make modules_install" (or whatever) sequence of commands,
or whether it's done with kernel-package. i happen to think that
kernel-package is much more convenient. some people think otherwise. big
deal, it doesn't matter which way it's done.

> One great reason is that you can build these packages on a machine
> that has all the tools and compiles fast. The resulting .deb file is
> easily installed with dpkg and will take care or making the hard disk
> boot the new kernel (while preserving the previous one) and creating a
> boot floppy.

yes, kernel-package is a great tool.

craig

--
craig sanders
networking consultant                  Available for casual or contract