Re: Anarchy! Yes, Anarchy!

Dave Cinege:
> A donation to 'debian' meant supporting the deveopers directly in some way,
> offering bandwidth, and contributing to the project. There were no direct bills to pay.
> The project could never fold unless the developers decided to just walk away.
>
> Then Debian suddenly had to get orginized, and become 'something'. It's now a
> company. It now wants money. It now has expensives. It now determines what is
> and is not 'official'.  I don't like it. It was fine the way it was before.

Yeah, it was fine to have a screwed up 1.0 version on InfoMagic, it was
fine to see the last two versions on InfoMagic sets come out crippled
and severely crippled respectively.  NOT.  And InfoMagic was the only
way I could get a Debian distribution until recently.

It seems to me that the people currently `venting their shit' on Debian
cannot imagine what is good for an ordinary user like me who isn't able
to download an entire distribution from the net and doesn't care about
the latest minute patches.  I appreciate a _stable_ distribution on
CD-ROM that is easily available in my next door book shop.  Therefore,
the Official Debian CDRom is the best thing that recently happened to
the Debian project.  If Official Debian CD's will become widely
available, that is a good thing as well, and if a new revision
numbering scheme can help, it is in my interest and in the interest of
the large group of users who want _access_ to a high quality
distribution.

Eric Meijer

--
 E.L. Meijer (tgakem@chem.tue.nl)          | tel. office +31 40 2472189
 Eindhoven Univ. of Technology             | tel. lab.   +31 40 2475032