Re: Show me the money Re: Donations to Debian

Dale Scheetz writes:
> Each revision will be properly noted.

> We aren't doing this for the benefit of CD makers. This is for the
> benefit of the end user (remember them?) who needs to be able to go to a
> local retailer and purchase the Debian distribution. If the CD
> manufacturer is forced to loose his shirt every time he tries to
> distribute this product, he is not likely to try again, and others who
> might have tried will be discouraged from the attempt.

This is the part that baffles me.  Do you really believe that users who
won't buy 1.3.1 because 1.3.2 is out will buy 1.3 revision 1 after 1.3
revision 2 comes out?

> As much as we may dislike having such discussions, marketing issues must
> be addressed if this goal is to be met.

And choosing a simple, consistent, and comprehensible release naming scheme
is such an issue.  Hambone, bopeep, 1.3.1, and now revision 2...  all
very confusing.  I've been trying to convince the people in the seul
project to use Debian: they think Debian is flaky.  I like Debian.  I use
Debian.  I'd contribute if I had the resources.  But I'm beginning to agree
with them.