Re: Show me the money Re: Donations to Debian

On 21 Aug 1997 john@win.bright.net wrote:

> Dale Scheetz writes:
> > Each revision will be properly noted.
>
> > We aren't doing this for the benefit of CD makers. This is for the
> > benefit of the end user (remember them?) who needs to be able to go to a
> > local retailer and purchase the Debian distribution. If the CD
> > manufacturer is forced to loose his shirt every time he tries to
> > distribute this product, he is not likely to try again, and others who
> > might have tried will be discouraged from the attempt.
>
> This is the part that baffles me.  Do you really believe that users who
> won't buy 1.3.1 because 1.3.2 is out will buy 1.3 revision 1 after 1.3
> revision 2 comes out?
>
> > As much as we may dislike having such discussions, marketing issues must
> > be addressed if this goal is to be met.
>
> And choosing a simple, consistent, and comprehensible release naming scheme
> is such an issue.  Hambone, bopeep, 1.3.1, and now revision 2...  all
> very confusing.  I've been trying to convince the people in the seul
> project to use Debian: they think Debian is flaky.  I like Debian.  I use
> Debian.  I'd contribute if I had the resources.  But I'm beginning to agree
> with them.

Good point, John. It seems that the sugar-coated explanation still doesn't
taste very good. Hey, users who are listening - Debian 1.3.3 is out but
it's still called 1.3.1 so nobody who buys those CD sets will feel
inferior? We need someone with a Ph.D. in policy analysis to convince us
that it really does taste good. Why don't we just call it Debian GNU/Linux
1.3.1.your_lucky_number?

+ Paul Wade                         Greenbush Technologies Corporation +
+ mailto:paulwade@greenbush.com              http://www.greenbush.com/ +