Re: Show me the money Re: Donations to Debian

On Thu, 21 Aug 1997, Dave Cinege wrote:

> It's not about .1 R1, or Asub1, to the 2nd power of 4.
> It's about something that is frozen, actully staying frozen.
> If the disc says 1.3.1, I should be able crccheck the whole damn thing against  the
> master 1.3.1 dist, and have it come up clean.
>
> Right NOW you can't even do that,

Not true! 1.3.1 is a fixed object, available as an "Official" image. It
hasn't changed since its release, and, to the best of my knowledge, will
not ever change.

and according to what bruce posted it is going
> to get worse, for the benefit of some cd makers.

I don't see anything getting worse! Each revision will be properly noted.

We aren't doing this for the benefit of CD makers. This is for the benefit
of the end user (remember them?) who needs to be able to go to a local
retailer and purchase the Debian distribution. If the CD manufacturer is
forced to loose his shirt every time he tries to distribute this product,
he is not likely to try again, and others who might have tried will be
discouraged from the attempt.

I we truely want Debian to be a benefit to as many people as possible, we
can't continue to treat this product as our personal property only useful
to some 200 developers and a few hundred users. Success is to be measured
by how many people can get access to our product. As much as we may
dislike having such discussions, marketing issues must be addressed if
this goal is to be met. Technical excellence is not the only requirement
for a marketable product. (look at M$ products if you are unconvinced)

Waiting is,

Dwarf