Re: Show me the money Re: Donations to Debian

On 21 Aug 1997 john@win.bright.net wrote:

> This is the part that baffles me.  Do you really believe that users who
> won't buy 1.3.1 because 1.3.2 is out will buy 1.3 revision 1 after 1.3
> revision 2 comes out?

I think the idea is, you buy the 1.3 CDROM and pick up the revisions from
the net.  Just like Caldera does. In other words, maybe debian should just
put the updates in a directory called 1.3-updates and not use symlinks to
point updates packages to the updates from the base 1.3 tree.  This would
make mirroring easier as the 1.3 tree would (in theory) never change and
mirrors would only have to keep the 1.3-updates directory up to date.
Users would install the 1.3 installation then add the 1.3-updates instead
as the sub-distribution to check for updated packages.  In this way, if a
distribution goes defunct and is replaced, only the X.x-updates directory
needs to be left around for people that might want to update a disk that
is a couple of revs behind current.  With the current method, debian has
to leave the entire tree there with simlinks to codename-updates.

George Bonser
Debian/GNU Linux  See http://www.debian.org
Linux ... It isn't just for breakfast anymore!