Re: [DEBIAN] Standardization?

From: George Bonser <grep@oriole.sbay.org>
> It was noted that debian does its /etc/rc.*
> completely different than RedHat does as an example.
> Is there any REALLY GOOD reason for stuff like this?

System V Unix puts them where we put them as far as I can tell. It's
that way on my SGI. This is really trivial to work around - if programs
expect it you can create a link of /etc/rc.d to /etc and they will work.

We are starting to talk about a standard for _all_i386_unix_systems_,
not just Linux. There is a meeting I'm attending at SCO this month where
we will discuss this with them and with various Linux and *BSD
distributions.

> Linux International should probably be in on this as well.

Their best role is probably to endorse, as a group, a standard that someone
else creates.

> I am not talking about a merger in packaging formats (though
> that WOULD be nice)

Within a few years everyone will be using POSIX packages. RPM and DPKG may
survive as tools, but the RPM or the DEB package formats will both die.
We're on the job, but it will take time.

> Until the different distributions come closer together in this regard, I
> fear that you will see commercial applications coming only for commercial
>  distributions that can pay developers to create the stuff based on their
> format.

What commercial Linux applications don't run on Debian? It was my impression
that you could install most commercial .rpm packages and they would work out
of the box.

Once we stop displaying uncontrolled growth I'll worry about the distribution
withering on the vine.

	Thanks

	Bruce
--
Can you get your operating system fixed when you need it?
Linux - the supportable operating system. http://www.debian.org/support.html