Re: [DEBIAN] Standardization?

> Within a few years everyone will be using POSIX packages. RPM and DPKG may
> survive as tools, but the RPM or the DEB package formats will both die.
> We're on the job, but it will take time.

Is this the 1387.2 standard?  Is it any good?  Who's done an analysis
on it to see if it is good enough to replace dpkg or to see if we can
build upon it?  If there's good stuff in it, why don't we start using
it right away?

I don't want to pay $72US (http://standards.ieee.org/catalog/it.html)
to obtain the standards document (I dropped out of the IEEE) just to
find out that it is mandating some backwards technology.

I've been using a fair amount of my (admittedly small) thinking capacity
trying to think of ways to improve our packaging system - so I'd like
to be informed if there is a serious movement afoot to scrap it.  :-)

Cheers,

 - Jim